Homemade ice cream has not lost any of its good, old-fashioned appeal. There are delicious homemade ice cream to meet every need: regular, low calorie, sugar free and non-dairy. And anyone can make a homemade ice cream to suit their need.
Below are 5 delicious ice cream recipes you can prepare at home:
1. Blueberry Ice Cream
- 2 pints blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 4 cups light cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a 3-quart saucepan combines blueberries, sugar and orange juice.
-Mash berries slightly and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree in a food processor or blender.
- Push mixture through a strainer with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Cool the mixture.
- In the chilled canister of ice-cream maker combine blueberry mixture, cream and vanilla. Freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
2. Blueberry Ice Cream version 2
- 3 cups blueberries
- 3 cups table cream
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- Blend in blender just before putting in machine.
- Simple recipe, great ice cream.
- Nice texture, nice flavor (not too sweet).
3. Brown Sugar Pecan
- 1 cup milk
- 1 scant packed cup brown sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- Heat the cream milk and sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, stirring occasionally until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is hot.
- Place the egg yolks in a bowl and whisk briefly.
- Still whisking, slowly pour in about 1 cup of the hot liquid.
- When the mixture is blended, slowly pour it into the liquid in the saucepan, whisking constantly.
- Cook over heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon, about 8 minutes.
- Be sure not let the mixture boil at any time or will curdle. strain into a clean bowl and cool thoroughly. Stir in the nuts.
- Pour the mixture into the bowl of the machine and freeze.
Makes 5 cups.
4. Burnt Caramel
- (Yields: 1 Quart or 950 ml)
- 1 C (190 g) granulated sugar
- 1 C (240 ml) HOT water
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 C (40g) powdered sugar
- 2 C (450 ml) heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat granulated sugar and 1/4 C (60 ml) of the water in a large skillet on medium high heat until the sugar melts and boils, stirring occasionally.
- Boil until mixture is a dark brown; remove from heat.
- Gradually stir in remaining 3/4 C (180 ml) water. (I love this part, cause the syrup boils up when the hot water is added) Cool to room temperature and set aside.
- Beat eggs in a medium bowl until thick and lemon colored; gradually beat in powdered sugar.
- Stir in cream and vanilla; stir in the caramel mixture.
- Chill. Freeze in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer's directions.
5. Butter Pecan
- 2 cups light cream
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans
- Combine the light cream, sugar, and butter in a medium saucepan.
- Cook, stirring constantly over low heat until bubbles form around the edges of the pan.
- Let the mixture cool and put it in the ice cream machine.
- Stir in heavy cream and vanilla.
- Freeze as directed by your machine's manufacturer.
- Add pecan after ice cream begins to harden.