How to Make Homemade Coconut Ice Cream

There is something about the taste of coconut that reminds me of being on holiday. I love being on holiday, the feeling of sand between my toes, the sound of the waves ebbing and flowing as I sleep with the sun on my face. Now I have to confess, this recipe for coconut ice cream is no substitute for being on holiday, but it brings back so many happy memories it would be very remiss of me not to indulge myself occasionally.

If the taste of coconut reminds you of holiday why not try my very simple recipe for coconut ice cream. I eat it plain, but a friend of mine who is a self confessed chocoholic eats hers with a drizzle of hot chocolate sauce.

Recipe for Coconut Ice Cream

375ml Double Cream
225ml Full Fat Milk
175g Grated Coconut
75g Sugar
4 Large Egg Yolks
50ml Coconut Milk

Grate the coconut and place in a saucepan with the cream and the milk. Heat over a medium heat until the liquid is almost at boiling point. You will know when it has reached the right temperature as small bubbles will be forming around the edge of the pan. Take off the heat and leave to cool for thirty to sixty minutes so the liquid absorbs the flavour of the coconut.

Place the egg yolks in a bowl and mix in the sugar until you have a creamy paste. Add the coconut milk to this paste and stir well.

Strain the cream and milk mixture so that you have taken out all the pieces of coconut. Place the coconut to one side as you will be using some of this later. Reheat the liquid until it is almost at boiling point again.

Add the egg yolks, sugar and coconut milk and heat over a low heat until the mixture has thickened and coats the back of a wooden spoon.

Leave to cool for three to four hours and then place in your ice cream maker, churning as per your manufacturer's instructions. With five minutes to go before the end of the process add a handful or two of the coconut pieces to the ice cream. Freeze in your freezer for no longer than one week.